As Missionaries and Companions of the Precious Blood – Kansas City Province, we are compelled by our
charisms of reconciliation, hospitality and ministry of the Word for the renewal of the Church. We are
motivated by the Gospel message (“For I was a stranger and you welcomed me,” Mt. 25:35) and inspired by our founder, St. Gaspar (“Please, I urge you not to abandon the poor who are the image of Jesus Christ”). We remember that we are a nation of immigrants. In light of these roots and our commitment to social justice, we affirm the rights of all immigrants to be treated with dignity and respect. We call on all government leaders to work together to establish compassionate and comprehensive immigration reform legislation. This legislation should:
• Provide a timely path to legal status for undocumented persons in the country
• Preserve family unity as a cornerstone for our national immigration system
• Provide for just and legal paths for immigrant laborers to come and work in the U.S.
• Restore due process protections to our immigration enforcement policies
• Address the root causes of migration within sending countries and explore long-term solutions
We empower the Justice and Peace Committee to develop an action plan for the congregation to implement the core beliefs expressed in our stance.